Saturday, November 8, 2014

What is Quill Writing and Translation Services?

I formed my company Quill Writing and Translation Services last year upon the advice of my sister. Like the name suggests, my company is all about writing services and translation services. At first, I concentrated mainly on writing but I have also been able to do some translation jobs too (mainly English-Tagalog translation work).

The value of having my own company is that it helps me form my own business identity that is independent of any one else’s. Of course, there are also some hardships that come with having your own company. For example, I have to pay for the registration of my company by myself. It cost me 2000 pesos just to get a national registration at the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) – national because my clients are mostly foreign individuals and corporations. I also have to pay for a bookkeeper and to have official receipts printed out of my own pocket. In addition, I will need to figure out which clauses in taxation laws and procedures in the Philippines apply to my company.

The benefit of having my own company is that it looks so cool being able to put my digital signature at the end of my gmail emails. I feel a sense of pride in being associated with the name of my company and knowing that this company is mine and no one else’s. When I think of my company I automatically think “How can I make my company better today?” When you work for someone else’s company you may feel that somehow there is a lack of fulfillment because you know that that company will never be yours. On the other hand, when you work for your own company you are motivated to make it better than it was yesterday all the time.

Of course, having my own company also means having to look for my own clients which also means working for other people. That part hasn’t changed – you will always need to find people to serve with your company. But because my company is my brand I know that I stand to benefit over time if I can sustain my work momentum every day.

No comments: