Friday, October 3, 2014

Why Life Insurance is Important to Me

Why Life Insurance is Important to Me
Even though I am schizophrenic, I am getting a life insurance policy soon from my friend Sasha So Seng Yu who is an active Sunlife agent. Because I am schizophrenic, I only qualify for the basic insurance plan (no riders) which is okay with me because I am glad the Sunlife company is willing to assume the risk of insuring me. And I am thankful to my friend for taking the time to explain to me how the policy coverage works. But why take life insurance in the first place?
To me, getting life insurance is important because I know that there are many unforeseen risks out there that can threaten my life at any point in time. Take that MRT train getting derailed recently, for instance – I used to be a frequent passenger at that station where the train was derailed. I wonder how many of those 30 people who were injured in that accident actually had life insurance coverage. Although apparently there were no fatalities, how would the families have coped if their breadwinner had died in that accident? How would I cope if I had been there that day in the MRT station and suffered a serious injury leading to loss of a hand, an arm, a leg or a foot? The thought of it is scary because right now I have no life insurance coverage yet, meaning if something happens to me now (before I am able to pay even one premium) I cannot afford the medical treatment. Life insurance coverage only starts once you pay the first premium.
I know some people who don’t believe in life insurance – but that’s because they have not thought carefully for a long time about how they would pay for huge medical bills if they suffered a serious accident or how their families would survive if they (the family breadwinner) were to die suddenly. I have, because I am schizophrenic. Having this kind of illness makes me wonder how I can pay for surgery if a jeep loses its brakes and suddenly plows into me as I wait on the sidewalk for a ride. I wonder what I will do if I lose a hand in the accident because touch typing is a necessary skill for my freelance writer job. And I wonder how my siblings can pay for my wake and burial in case I die in an accident (because even cremation is costly, though it is the less expensive option compared to being buried in a coffin).
I hope I am getting through to you people about the need for life insurance. If you would like a referral to my Sunlife agent, please do PM me and I will be glad to refer you to her.
Her name is Sasha So Seng Yu.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
ELEANORE O. HATTA

1 comment:

eohatta said...

I have already gotten a life insurance plan from Sunlife through my friend Sasha.