Saturday, May 20, 2023

Covid Be Damned, I Will Go Back to Work!

My strongly-worded title really sums up for me everything that I wanted to say to the coronavirus. Because covid really loused up May 2023 for me.

I had it all planned out - I would receive my first screenplay writing paycheck and divide it carefully among the different categories of responsible expenses plus have a bit extra for savings. And that's what I did. I was even able to pay the back wages of the old street sweeper whom I hired to sweep the street in front of my family's house.

But then came covid. I wasn't able to finish the screenplay I was working on since I felt terrible so I had to inform my client that they had to find another writer for it. I had to go to the laboratory nearby so that I could get my RT PCR test (which cost 2800 pesos, money I had to borrow from my mother since I didn't have enough savings to cover it) which showed I tested positive for covid. And I've been in confinement for around 11 days now which is no fun. 

The only bright spot in my confinement was that I had Internet. So I could talk to my friends and tell them all about My Covid Adventure. But it wasn't really an adventure, I just couldn't think of an upbeat way of telling the world about what I was going through. It's been hell dealing with this damned coronavirus infection and the funny thing is I even got vaxxed four times over the past two years. Apparently, the virus mutated into a new form so that my body failed to spot the infection right away.

How can I describe being hit by covid? It's like a terrible case of the flu. I got intense headaches, muscle pains, and joint pains. My appetite diminished. My immune system weakened so I developed a phlegmy cough and runny nose. I couldn't move very fast nor could I do chores. I lost my sense of humor (no, I think that was just something funny I could tell you about) because there wasn't anyone I could talk to face to face. My mom and her husband live in the same house as me but they live on the second floor and I am confined to my bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom on the first floor. We don't talk except via email to play it safe. So, aside from the physical symptoms, there will come a time when you feel isolated from the world and none of your friends understand what is happening to you because they've never had covid.

I had plenty of time to review my insurance licensure manuals because I thought "well, after I've emerged from quarantine I can get a job online again, this time as an insurance advisor." But my mom advised against the insurance job because she said I would be risking lawsuits in this field. So I lost that job opportunity as well.

What I find unusual is that no one seems to want to hire me online. I've been job hunting even in LinkedIn Jobs and in Facebook freelancer groups. No one seems to want to answer my queries about the jobs they advertised. I took some writing tests for prospective employers but they didn't reply anymore after that. I guess I flunked the writing tests. And here I am now writing on my blog after years and months of silence.

What do I want? I want a nice job that pays great compensation, one that will last me until end of 2023 at minimum. I want the freedom to be able to go out of the house and go to the supermarket and drug store to buy what I need. I want my savings to grow and I want to repay all my creditors. I want to be able to invest in investments that make sense to me to have. And I want to be able to place an order with Waltermart so they'll resume deliveries of my groceries to my home every week.

Right now, I got nothing. But I am hoping, praying, and working towards my goal of steady employment. The screenplay writing client did say they're putting me in the waitlist so that if a project comes they can assign it to me. So that's one positive. And I'm thinking maybe no one is replying to my job hunting because it's the weekend and lots of companies don't work on weekends. Keeping my fingers crossed about that one too. Damn you covid. I will still be able to get that job I need, even with you and your co-viruses roaming around and biding your time. Just you wait!

No comments: